Monday, December 31, 2007

Their eyes were watching God (ch.1~ch.3)

It's a shame I only had so much time to read up to the end of chapter three.
For the first chapter I couldn't exactly grasp what the novel was about since all was comprised of dialogues of seemingly common black women. Reading on, I found out that Janie was the heroine, and her grandmather was a very devout Christian who cares a lot about Janie.

What impressed me was the line by Janie's grandma where she says that white ppl are taking control as she sees it, and black women are considered nothing more than mules.
When she said that she prays for things to change, it touched my heart. It felt unfair for someone to pray for one's equal rights since they are all citizens of a country, all born as a human. In here I felt that both racial and sexual issues were relevant since it were 'black women' who were treated most unfairly.

Another part that appealed to me was where Janie says "Ah wants things sweet wid mah marriage lak when you sit under a pear tree and think. Ah..."
Every sadness, it seems, starts from expectations. If one expects nothing, then although nothing is given the person wouldn't be disappointed. It broke my heart that since Janie expected a sweet marriage it was hard for her to accept the truth. Every woman dreams about a sweet marriage life. Why wouldn't it work for Janie? Is it related to the fact that she is a black woman or was it only a problem with her husband?
What made her know that marriage did not make love? (end of ch.3)

'Janie's first dream was dead, so she became a woman.'
This made me think about the most basic criteria for judging 'becoming a woman'. Of course in here 'woman' did not mean someone with a XX chromosome. It must mean more than that.
If interpreted into something like, practical and wise woman who cracked out of her naive stage, it would make sense for me. I understand why it was used in such a way here.
But what bothers me is 'what made this kind of conception? What made it natural for a woman to be a real woman with her dreams dead?'
Before realizing things, Janie must have been 'a naive creature'. Why does Janie's 'becoming a woman' depend on her husband's treatment to her in their marriage life? This I think is definitely related to feminism.

I can't wait to read more to find out more about Janie. Since I don't get a lot of things going on here all I could to was to infer things. I am ready to feel Janie as my own self as I always do with the main character when reading a book.

I think it will be particularly interesting an experience.

No comments: